Monday 2 December 2013

Second Post: The Workday Lunchbreak Edition: Dolmio Tomato and Basil Pasta Lunch Pot

I should start a blog for these…but 'Adventures in Depressing Food' will now be looking at a Dolmio pasta-for-one lunch pot.
My initial experience was soured by the sauce pot exploding out of the packaging, and ejaculating a spurt of the Tomato and Basil sauce across the floor of the communal kitchen. Let this day go down in history as the first time this floor was cleaned, apparently.

The sight of the sauce insinuating itself through the microwaved pasta reminded me of the experiment where you put soil in water to discriminate between layers of Humous, inorganic and soluble soil constituents. Basically, like shit on rocks.

The sauce is quite impressive in that it manages to combine both the overpowering acidity of vinegar with the overpowering acidity of sundried tomatos. How they are managing to maintain two forms of overpowering acidities in one palate, I would rather not know.

Mark: I'm about to heat up a tesco's own (nearly bought the finest range but thought that was too aspirational class) spaghetti carbonara. Suspect my experience may be similar

Lucy: Why are you eating such horrible food?

Mark:
...we should have a depressing food come dine with me some time (subtle hint at a date there latash :P)

The meal comes without a fork, requiring the user to either steal one from the canteen (as I did), fashion one like MacGyver (as I have done before), eat with hands like a beast, or have one's life together sufficiently to have one prepared. The last possibility is a null set, as if you were so organised, one would not have need of a Dolmio Pasta-for-One lunch pot.

Lucy, Life of a PhD Student
Mark, Can we find four people with so little shame?


Mark: Four people with so little shame...Im in a club with 20 of the fuckers  

Lucy: I made a juice for breakfast with fresh vegetables and for lunch I have a smoked salmon salad with a lemon vinaigrette on the cards.

I had a can of Rockstar energy drink and a JPS Blue for breakfast, this for lunch (accompanied with a pack of mini cheddars and a can of coke zero) and my dinner will probably see me wolfing something reduced-to-clear in costcutter before, during or after my meeting that will run all night.

Lucy: Well that all sounds peachy. Im going to visit my baby brothers so will steal some of their salt/dairy free chicken based dinner. Thats alot of crappy drinks there.. you know water is free?


The Roundup!
Overall: actually quite pleasant, filling and good value for only £1.

pH: 3
Most terrifying thing: the expiry date is after I intend to graduate, it and doesn't require refrigeration. Asbestos pasta perhaps?
Total score: 8/10, would eat again.

Lucy, Water doesn't contain vitamin caffeine.

Lucy: Ah.. I dont ingest caffeine so that's no issue for me. I do manage to stay awake though..

[My reply]



Though seriously, part of this exercise is to shame me into eating less convenience food, by reflecting on how awful it actually is.

Adrian: I would subscribe to this if it were a youtube channel

No comments:

Post a Comment